Kingfisher Seaplane Ops
This film documents SC-1 Seaplane Operations on USS Nashville (CL-43) July 26, 1945. It was found on a website documenting USS Abbot (DD 629) operations. This short segment is six minutes into the full video. Click or Tap the icon to visit the source .
The activities included are:
- Pilot climbs into Curtiss SC-1 Seahawk on catapult.
- SC-1 catapulted.
- SC-1 taxis alongside and catches onto sled.
- Pilot attaches crane hook to SC-1.
- Crewman eases SC-1 onto cradle.
- SC-1 lands and taxis.
- Crane lifts SC-1 and sets it on ship as crew members fold SC-1 wings.
It is possible that LtCol Thompson was aboard when this flm as shot. In My Story, he states:
- "The last time the Nashville went to sea, while I was aboard, was for a day of training exercises was on August 1, 1945."
- "I left the USS Nashville at Subic Bay on August 17, 1945."
The National Archives holds the original film, ARC identifier “79429 NAVAL BOMBARDMENT OF HONSHU, 08/07/1945.”